About Me

I'm Kayla. I dont know what I want to do with my life. But here you can follow me on my journey.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Texas Tech: College Of My Dreams?

I've been eagerly looking at colleges. I really would like to go to Watkins, but my parents just won't let me, because " I can be a professional photographer, and not go to college for it..."

Anyway, I have been looking around, and Texas Tech caught my eye. They have a zoology program, ROTC, considering I will be coming from out of state the total cost with room and board is $26,000.
But If I get an ROTC scholarship, the price doesn't exist. And any loans I do have to take out, I can pay back with money for service.

The campus is pretty large, over 1000 acre campus in Lubbock, Texas. The ACT average is a 23, which is in the middle. Whatever the TOFEL is... it's required. Roughly 67% of students that apply get admitted, because I'm a good student, I expect to get in.
They have a photography club, WHICH MAKES ME HAPPY. :D

Although I love Auburn, being on campus was not that great...
I would love to go to Watkins, but I can't major in photography, I can MINOR!

Texas Tech seems like a good choice. The only problem is the distance away from home, I don't think my parents could handle it!

The only downer I've seen so far to majoring in zoology is the amount of chemistry classes I have to take.
Like three different ones. I am going to die!

I'm still pondering my options. I might opt to take out a buttload of student loans and pay myself through Watkins.

7 comments:

Tony Craig said...

If you keep your focus on God, you'll know which one is right for you when the time comes. God Bless you in your search for the college of your future.

A Portrait Of War said...

Thanks Tony, but how will He tell me?
Will it be like "BAM" THIS IS YOUR SCHOOL..
or will it be like the opportunity arises in my life..

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

I beg to differ, daughter. It isn't that we won't "let" you attend Watkins but we suggest it isn't the best school for Zoology, which has been your dream for over a decade. At 17 years of age, you have the luxury of time to explore. Find a good school for undergraduate and there you'll undoubtedly find the direction that you'll next want to go. What Tony said is true - focus on God and pray. He's never, like, hit me between the eyes with an answer but when He has answered it was crystal clear. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

also...you acting as if your not going to get any scholarship money. work hard and try to do good on the ACT and you can get money to help pay for school. And you can apply for all those little scholarships and get a bit of money to fill in the cracks a bit. Keep you options open and continue to work hard and you will make it fine even with some loans :)
Trust in God to give you the strength and ability to get your work done good...He made you a smart girl. you just got to put your mind to it. you will do fine. do not worry about it to much. Just continue to work and trust in God.

A Portrait Of War said...

Well dad is acting like the ROTC is my only way..
He keeps on bringing it up, so I'm trying to interest myself in it, but serving is not my thing, i want to go straight to a job.

The Giraffe Head Tree said...

I agree with Tony and Alex. You have lots and lots of options. Working hard and getting good grades will open a lot of doors for you. Step by step, bit by bit, but you have to work for it. Talk to Jessica, too, as she's been through this as well. Most have - you just have to find your own way.

A Portrait Of War said...

maybe i should be a hobo. ;/

one day it will hit me what i want to do, and where i want to go.